Throughout this process I have learned so much about the social studies curriculum. With a group of other students I have developed a unit overview of addressing the importance of Black history in the social studies curriculum. While not explicitly stated, Black history is an extremely important aspect of Canadian History. Teaching an accurate and inclusive history of Canada is important for students to be taught so they can understand the segregation and racism minority communities experience in Canada. With the push for Indigenous education to be taught in the classroom in a variety of ways, we must also include the many other cultures in our communities and their experience in Canada. Inclusivity and acceptance is extremely important and this should apply to the content that we as teachers are asked to teach. All students should understand the mistreatment and systemic racism experienced by minorities in our country. Black history should be taught in the classroom from kindergarten all the way to grade twelve. Unfortunately many students have to learn the effects of racism, ignorance, and generalizations from the minute they are born and they can not opt in or out. We need to educate our students so these effects can be mitigated from the start and understanding can be reached. It is not good enough for our students to not be racist they need to be anti racist and understand the detrimental effects it has taken on the black community and the intergenerational trauma this has caused. All students should feel represented in the classroom and should learn their cultures history in Canada, it is time to include black history in content and teach our students the truth. Overall, social studies should not be hand picked over the years it should accurately depict the struggles, falls, and successes, of what helped create Canada as to what we experience today. While this is the focus I took with my unit plan with I also was able to research the curriculum further. I was able to familiarize myself with a variety of competencies and content goals. For our 330 presentations I also looked at developmentally appropriate social studies teachings and adjusted lessons to fit the needs of multiple grades.

Through understanding how to be an effective social studies teacher, I came across the unjust issue of Black history in Canada. The curriculum does not explicitly outline that the content of Black history must be taught, which allows teachers who may have a personal bias to leave this topic out. Minority struggles are in the content and could be interpreted; however, it leaves room for interpretation. Students deserve to be educated on our entire past and the works that Black people in Canada experienced, and their pain. This creates well-rounded students who can then make their own decisions based on the facts that they have. I want my students to be fully educated on the positive and negative past of our country to understand why our society is the way it is. When protests occur, they can understand why people need to protest and what brought people to that point. I believe for a student to understand the world we live in truth, we must present all issues. This allows them to make their judgments, opinions, preferences, and choices and understand everything that goes into it. I believe that students need to be educated on all aspects of the past in a non-bias way, so they are presented with all the facts. If students only know half of the truth, they cannot make informed decisions. Informed decisions are imperative in today’s day and age where we are held accountable for all of our actions.