My ideas for each sculpture came quite naturally. Immediately when both pieces were introduced I had a clear idea of what this idea meant to me the process however would adjust and grow as I began to create. My mushroom piece was meant to create a visual experience make you look at something from a different angle and evoke feeling. The jarring vibrant colours were used to create interest and the familiar shape to create familiarity then you see the connectedness of the piece and the repetition . My book sculpture was more non representational which is something that is more challenging for my brain but was much stronger for the piece. I wanted to highlight the writing of Shakespeare using a piece that is often used in the costuming of his work and in portraits of himself the ruff. The title of my first piece is ‘Copasetic’ and the second piece is ‘An ode to Sonnet 54’

In ‘Copasetic’ I use a lot of repetition to create the cohesiveness I desired with my wider use of colour it was important to create unity when possible in other elements. I wanted to create texture in my piece especially on the bottom of the mushroom. I worked hard to use different paper folding techniques to represent the gills, spores, edges, etc. I had never worked with paper before but my grandmother used to create magnificent cards using paper rolling and folding which was an inspiration for some of the techniques I used. In ‘An ode to Sonnet 54’ I used repetition to create familiarity and line to create rhythm and movement. While the piece has a simple shape repeated together they use space, light, form, and shape to work together to create strength and unity. I chose to use the pinwheel shape to mimic my inspiration for the piece the ruff and I felt the repetition of the shape presented the boldness and power this clothing piece represents.

‘Copasetic’ was something I was so proud of in the beginning I love the texture and meticulousness of the bottom of the mushroom. As I began to build and create more of the shape it became much more challenging. In the end I feel I did a good job of creating my desired piece while also changing and straying from my original vision. I pivoted after my initial critiques which allowed me to strengthen the work and really focus on the unity in the piece as well as the balance. I originally was so excited about the use of paper as a medium and fell in love with the vibrancy and texture it offered however found it very challenging to create the 360 experience. If I were to try again I would try a relief sculpture while I continue to grow my skills. As for my second piece I am very proud of what I created. My vision was strong originally and I was able to encompass the goal however not recreate it. I love the movement and rhythm in the piece and while it is simple it is strong. I really enjoy the way the paper folds and creates space and the way the light hits each individual fold creating darkness and lightness. This piece was easier in a sense as I let go more and let the paper and the shapes I created take control versus sticking to a set plan.

Overall, I am very proud of the work I created, the time I spent and the new techniques I have learned. The whole process was a learning experience and I am proud of how I could let go and try new things. I am proud of the challenges and successes I experienced throughout both pieces.