My original idea for this assignment was using a medium I am comfortable with. While I love getting to learn and explore new mediums I wanted to use something I am more comfortable with. My original idea was either wood burning or clay. I decided after sharing my ideas to use wood burning.

Layout:

My layout revolved around hexagonal shapes going together making a hive like structure. This was my first layout while I was creating my designs.

Process:

I started sketching out images on each hexagon starting in the very centre. I sketched an animal that represents my grandmother, a hummingbird. Around the hummingbird I drew plants that are native to Lillooet which is where my family is from. I also wrote the plants in Northern St’at’imcets which is my native language. On the left arm I wrote a traditional song in Northern St’at’imcets called The earth song. I wood burned an image that represented the lyrics. On the right arm I chose an animal that represents each member in my family. I looked at traditional meanings and represented them with an animal.

Results:

I started with sketching, then I wood burned and sanded, then I connected them together by gluing them down to fabric. I had to glue popsicle sticks to the back in order to have them stand up for supports. Then I had to add hand holds and arm bands to help hold the shawl together.These are the results of my shawl. This piece has a lot of meaning to me and I am very proud of what I created. I wasn’t able to use as much technique in my wood burning as that takes a lot more time. It also requires the switching of different tips and pens. I am happy with the images I created especially being the first time I designed so many Indigenous inspired pieces of art. I was happy with my outlining and shading though.