My inspiration for the piece was a shakespearean collar. I wanted to create the fullness of a shakespearean collar to represent the vast stories, poems, and plays he has written. Initially I was drawn to a mobile idea hanging from the collar would be things to represent different plays he has written. The pom was meant to be a flower representing Ophelia when she goes on her monologue after Polonius dies. The feather was to represent a line from the taming of the shrew. While these ideas had meaning they felt lack lustre and craft like versus representational and sculpture like. In my exploration of shapes I made a pinwheel. This shape spoke to me as it was simple in nature like Shakespeares sonnets but had peaks and valleys representing the iambic pentameter of most of his 154 sonnets. I felt the repetition of this shape would create the boldness and strength I needed to highlight in this piece.

The first photo highlights more of the exploration I went through while exploring the medium and how to use the paper. The second picture highlights the repetition of the shape I decided on and what began to take shape. The last photo was what gave me inspiration to incorporate the book. I loved the look of the paper being ripped out, I was drawn to the texture the organic lines created by the ripping and the fullness it created.

Once finished creating the long wiggly worm I began to play with placement. I started with he representational spiral of a shakespearean collar. It however cut off the rhythm in the piece and highlighted too much of the repetition making it more jarring and less approachable. The second photos was when I cut it apart again and began to play with the form it could create. I believe the piece has unity with the connectedness of each piece and the explosion from out of the book. It represents what the pages where in the past to this future explosion of ideas coming out from the book. The use of line was much more powerful once I committed to creating the free form shape and the squiggly line created a natural almost explosion versus a harsh straight line. The emphasis of this piece is defined in each fold causing your eye to draw towards each new dive. It then spirals it down the line emphasizing the unity of the piece. The form of this shape really was key in creating the experience I wanted but took time to figure out how to get it just right.