Description

This piece used various materials including seaweed, animal carcass, rocks, sticks, shells, and sand. The mandala style of the piece took a circular shape and line was used with the strength of the sticks to create a circle. Space was used between each new row of object allowing separation and distinct layers. Texture and colour were natural factors in the piece due to the differing objects being used in each layer. The subject matter was objects on the beach while techniques varied. Objects were used in different ways from being dug into a spot, connecting pieces, strategic laying, and overlapping.

Analysis

Balance was used with the differing weight of each layer from thicker layers such as sticks and rocks to thinner layers such as seaweed and shells. Contrast was used with each new layer being a varying shape it allowed each row to shine and work together to create a natural form. Rhythm was used with the distancing of objects and each layer having a varied amount going around. This created a sense of rhythm with some rows such as sticks feeling like a held note while rocks felt quick and syncopated. The outer seaweed was harmonious and long while the inner more decayed seaweed felt like a run in music. Movement was used with the placement of each row creating an almost spiral effect. Variety was achieved with the different materials used but the piece also felt Harmonious as they all came from the same place. Lastly I felt Unity in this piece as the circle felt together and strong. The mood of the piece was peaceful the tones were muted and felt very natural but the message and story behind it felt connected and meaningful.

Interpretation

I think the purpose of the piece was to create a sense of calm. I can tell from the chosen sculpture to be a mandala which is historically used as a form of meditation. The muted tones and natural textures used and highlighted create a sense of calm as well. I think the artist was trying to convey a sense of peace the layering to me is distinct without being repeated which shows the different layers of struggle, pain, and hardship. Each of these are significant and vastly different demonstrated by the space between them, the different objects and colours being used. However, all come from the same place and are connected by their origin. While the inner pieces rhythm showcases a short, disjointed story the last outer layer creates a barrier between these hardships and the outer world outside of this piece. While usually hardships would create a negative emotion or mood the fading colours of the objects shown represent that the power of them are beginning to fade. The outer layer is the most vibrant and connected showcasing the strength of keeping them not only contained but outshining them in a new way.

Judgement

I like this mandala as to me it stands incredibly strong with its meaning, and significance. The piece has some issues with structure as some rows are not evenly spaced however this also connects to the pieces intention. It represents hardships and trauma which are not equal and spin someone off their centre. I like the sense of calm and strength I get from the piece and the empowerment from its story. As for craftsmanship the piece could be constructed with more uniform layers. While I like the different use of material you could create more structured layers. I do like the loosely connected tone of the piece as while each layer is different their are connections such as the seaweed while one is bright and connected the other is faded and wild which shows the maturation of the piece each layer you add. With the connection of building the piece with her therapy dog and the significance of the location as well as the meditative choice of a mandala I would say the piece is quite clear. The difference in colours elicits two separate moods which to me shows darker and duller days versus the vibrance of the outer shell. The piece needs some digging but once you look at the pieces and the weathering, degradation, and chosen materials you can tell the difference between the positive layers and the negative layers. The aesthetic of the piece is pleasing to the eye but could use some refinement of the layers. I think the piece is strong emotionally, and in its use of rhythm, balance, unity, and contrast. Overall I enjoyed the piece and what it was trying to say.