I try and use media in my classroom as much as possible. Attached are some examples of media I have used for lessons to help my students stay focused.

For this assignment I decided to rework a Kahoot I had previously made for students to get to know me. Kahoot is a great way to conduct formal and informal assessment. Originally I created this quiz using only pictures and questions. I took this opportunity to add in videos, create videos, upload them, create Canva graphics, and record the process using Screencastify.

My creation gallery:

This is all of the media I created, filmed, and uploaded for my Kahoot.

My process:

This video describes the changes I made and what each question looked like previously. My goal in upgrading my Kahoot was to include the UDL principles, as well as create a greater chance of knowledge transfer. My Kahoot had simple questions that could only be understood through reading. Now I have created media that pictorially represents the questions being asked. This allows everyone a chance to understand what is happening. The time limit for each question is one minute which allows plenty of time to submit an answer. This quiz is also ungraded meaning no point values being given out. All of these edits allow students to focus without fear of getting it incorrect. I have created a universal design through my media content, the time limit, the removal of points, and having a practice question. When we allow students access we create a learning model that is inclusive for everyone with a greater chance of success. Kahoot has a subscription service and therefore I could not include a voice reading of the questions. However, the assumption is, I would read the questions to aid everyone by allowing them access to both media, and audio.

I used the segmenting principle through asking different questions and including time before new information is shared. I used the signalling principle with each new embed giving a clue to the right answer. I used the redundancy principle by not presenting the same information in multiple forms. Instead I allowed for UDL’s to be followed with each question following the same style to ease anxiety or confusion. I used the coherence principle with the images and media referencing the answer and giving hints to questions in the future. With my uses of media, attention to equitable access, and upgrades this Kahoot has become an amazing way to have my future students get to know me.